Summer ‘15 Release Notes are out, so it’s time to take a tour around some of the coolest new features – Highlights in bold!
At the time of publication, this is only a “preview” of the release, and the features below may or may not actually be delivered.
This essentially differentiates the desktop Publisher bar on the Chatter feed from the Salesforce1 Action bar, although the actions are inherited from there.
- Convert Leads to Contacts (GA)
- Hide the Action Header for Visualforce Custom Actions
- Receive In-App Notifications about Posts to Groups
- Use Global Search to Find Information in Feed Posts
- More Intuitive Community Management Navigation
- Override Default Community Pages from Community Management
- Publish from Community Builder in a Sandbox
- Community Case Feed
- Community Emails Now Include a Link to the Community
- Omni-Channel: Automatically route records from Queues based on agent availability
- SOS (GA – Additional $)
- Major Live Agent Upgrades
- Inline Images for HTML Email-To-Case
- Hide & Default Case Assignment Checkbox
- Run Bulk Macros on Multiple Records at the Same Time
Seems like Macros are essentially the same thing as Custom Button + Visual Workflow, but inside the Console, and with some special Service (Knowledge, Chatter) capability.
You can now bookmark and pin tabs on the screen – With the other 2 features above, makes it even harder to ignore how powerful the console is…
Based just on the volume of new features & updates above, looks like Service is definitely on Salesforce’s mind for this release…
You can now edit your own Chatter posts after they are published, and Sys Admins can edit other users’ as well.
- Syncing Content Files with Chatter Files and vice versa
- Manage Which Custom Object Records Can Be Added to Groups
- Report on Record Feeds
- Redesigned User Digest (Beta)
- Improved Profile Photo Upload Time
Potentially the most visible change coming out of this release?
Process Builder & Visual Workflow
- Populate Multi-Select Picklists
- Access Global Variables
- Removed 12 Hour Flow & Process Delete Wait Time
My personal favorite
- Use Formulas in Process Builder
- Define Filter Criteria When Updating Records in Process Builder
- Better Process Management UI
Can’t recommend enough using Process Builder & Visual Workflow in tandem - Eliminates the need for many Apex trigger use cases I’ve seen.
Security and Identity
- Platform Encryption (GA – Additional $)
Big news for everyone who needs to encrypt more than just a 175-char text field! But how much does it cost…
- Choose the Logout Page for Salesforce Users
- Continuously Enforce IP Addresses in Login IP Ranges
- User Provisioning for Connected Apps (GA)
Apex & Visualforce
- New Code Coverage Calculation for Multiline Statements
- Choose Which Tests to Run in a Deployment
- Improved Support for
- Static Resources Served from the Visualforce Domain
Better make sure you’re using $Resource URLFOR() in your code! It’s best practice!
Lightning Components (still Beta)
- New empty() Expression Function
- Use My Domain with Lightning Components
Suprisingly small amount of improvements for Lightning Components though… Maybe everyone was working on the new features that are written in Lightning
Integration & Outlook
- Salesforce Adapter for Lightning Connect
- Creating Parent & Child Records in 1 REST API Call (“SObject Tree”)
- Prevent Users from Changing Salesforce for Outlook Sync Settings
- Upcoming End of Support for Connect for Outlook
Territory Management 2.0
- Improved Sandbox Copy Engine for Full Sandboxes
- Administrators Can Log in as Any User Automatically Enabled
- End of Support for Advanced Markup in HTML Area Home Page Components
This has been raising a lot of noise in the dev community, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t make the cut for this release.
Something else to manually deactivate for all the admins out there…